Director, Center for Emerging Energy Technologies
Farris Engineering Center - Room 247
- Ph.D. Bulgarian Academy of Sciences Chemistry, 1995
- Specialization in Bioelectrochimistry Frumkin's Institute of Electrochemistry, 1988
University of Sophia Chemical Physics, 1987
- Sensors and Biosensors
- Applied Electrochemistry
- 2009 - Present: Professor, Department of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 2007 - Present: Director, Center for Emerging Energy Technologies, School of Engineering University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 2006 - Present: Associate Professor, Department of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 2000 - 2006: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 1999 - 2000: Research Scientist, Project Manager, Superior MicroPowders LLC, (now Cabot-SMP and Cabot-Fuel Cells) Albuquerque, NM.
- 1993-99: Research Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 1992-93: Senior Research Associate, Department of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 1991-92: Research Fellow (Staff Scientist II), Central Laboratory of Electrochemical Power Sources, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- 1990-91: Research Associate (Staff Scientist III), Central Laboratory of Electrochemical Power Sources, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria.
Research Assistant (Staff Chemist), Central Laboratory of Electrochemical
Power Sources, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- ChNE 319L Chemical Engineering Lab II Spring 2008.
- ChNE 403/503 Heterogeneous Catalysis Spring 2008.
- ChNE 406/506 Bioengineering Seminar Spring 2008.
438/538 Biosensors Fundamentals & Applications Spring
ChNE Graduate Seminar Spring 2008.
- ChNE 317 Chemical Engineering Lab I Fall 2008.
- ChNE 418L Chemical Engineering Lab III Fall 2008.
Ongoing Research Support:
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (Multi-University Research
Fundamentals of Enzymatic Fuel Cells
This large proposal brings together faculty from UNM, Columbia University, Michigan State University, University of St. Louis, University of Hawaii and Northeastern University (Boston). UNM is the lead institution and Plamen Atanassov is the main PI. UNM part of the program will is being housed with the new Center for Biomedical Engineering.
- Division for Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technology (Laboratory Research
New Electrocatalysts for Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells
This Subcontract is a part of a LANL-lead collaborative program at the Institute for Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technology. It includes Brookhaven Natnl. Lab, U. of Illinois, U. of California and UNM. P. Atanassov is the PI of the UNM sub-contract.
- EPSCoR State of New Mexico Implementation Award, 10/1/08-09/30/11
Materials for Energy Conversion and Storage
State of New Mexico DOE collaborative research proposal with participation from NMT, NMSU and ENMU
For a complete listing of Current and Pending Support, click here
Ziegelbauer, T. Olson, F. Alamgir, C. Jaye, P. Atanassov,
S. Mukerjee, Direct Spectroscopic Observation of the Structural
Origin of Peroxide Generation from Co-Based Pyrolyzed Porphyrins
for ORR Applications, J. Phys. Chem. C., 112 (2008) 8839-8849.
- S. Pylypenko, S. Mukherjee, T. Olson and P. Atanassov, Non-Platinum Electrocatalysts Based on Pyrolyzed Transition Metal Macrocycles, Electrochimica Acta, in press (2008).
- D. Ivnitski, K. Artyushkova and P. Atanassov, Electrochemical Studies of Redox Copper Centers of Bilirubin Oxidase from the Fungi Myrothecium verrucaria based on Direct Bioelectrocatalysis, Bioelectrochemistry, in press (2008).
- K. Artyushkova, S. Pylypenko, T.S. Olson, J.E. Fulghum and P. Atanassov, Predictive Modeling of Electrocatalyst Structure Based on Structure-to-Property Correlations of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopic and Electrochemical Measurements, Langmuir, in press (2008).
- T. Olson, K. Chapman and P. Atanassov, Performance and Evaluation of PEM Fuel Cell MEA Catalyst Layer Composition for non-Pt Oxygen Reduction Electrocatalysts, J. Power Sources, 183 (2008) 557-563.
- E. Switzer, T.S. Olson, A. K. Datye, P. Atanassov, M.R. Hibbs and C.J. Cornelius, Ethanol, Methanol and CO Oxidation in Alkaline Media: Investigation of Novel Anionic Exchange Ionomer and Templated Pt-Sn Electrocatalyst, J. Elecrochem. Soc., submitted (2008)
- G. Gupta, V. Rajendran, B. Branch, D. Ivnitski and P. Atanassov, Gas-Diffusion Laccase-Catalyzed Cathodes for Bio-fuel Cells, Electrochem. Solid State Lett., submitted (2008).
Total Publications in Career:
- 109 peer reviewed papers, 15 US patents awarded, 6 Bulgarian Patents.