Centennial Engineering Center - Room 2055
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Colorado Chemcial and Biological Engineering, 2004-06
- Ph.D. Rice University Bioengineering, 2004
- B.S. Unversity of California, Santa Barabara Chemical Engineering, 1997
- Tissue Engineering
- 2006 - Present: Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Nuclear Engineering and Department of Chemistry University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM.
- 2005: Special Topics Instructor, Bio-separations, Chemical Engineering Separations and Mass Transfer, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2002-03: Visiting Researcher, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Department of Biomaterials, Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
- 2000-04: Adjunct Researcher, Chrysalis Biotechnology, Inc., Galveston, TX/ OrthoLogic, Corp., Tempe, AZ.
- 2001-04: Undergraduate Research Advisor, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- 2000-01: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- 1997-98: Scientist I, Clorox Services Company, Pleasanton, CA.
- ChNE 561 Kinetics of Chemical Processes Spring 2008
- ChNE 361 Biomolecular Engineering Fall 2008
- ChNE 461 Chemcial Reactor Engineering Fall 2008
Ongoing Research Support:
Associated Universities: Ralph E. Powe Juinor Faculty Enhancement
Development of Biocompatible Materials with Complex 3D Nanometer-Scale Architectures
This funding supports the adaptation of an existing 3D patterning method for UV crosslinkable materials for the fabrication of biocompatible, biodegradable scaffolds.
Cancer Society - Internal Research Grant 04/08-03/09
3D Nano-Structures for the Controlled Release of Therapeutics
This funding supports the development of biocompatible 3D nano-porous scaffolds for the controlled release of anti-cancer agents.
University of New Mexico/Harvard Partnership for Research and Education in Materials: Leadership in Biomaterials
This funding allows for collaborations between UNM and Harvard to further underrepresented student education and collaboration. Funds are available for studies on the effects of material compliance on valvular interstitial cell function.
School of Engineering and Department of Chemical & Nuclear
Biomaterials Laboratory Start-Up
This is unrestricted funding for the start-up and running of my research in the area of synthetic, polymeric biomaterials.
Ruhe, E.L. Hedberg, P.H.M. Spauwen, J.A. Jansen, A.G. Mikos, "Porous
Poly(DL-Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid)/Calcium Phosphate Cement Composites
for Bone Tissue Reconstruction," Tissue Engineering, 12,
- E.L. Hedberg, H.C. Kroese-Deutman, C.K. Shih, R.S. Crowther, D.H. Carney, A.G. Mikos, J.A. Jansen, "In Vivo Degradation of Porous Poly(Propylene Fumarate)/Poly(DL-Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid) Composite Scaffolds," Biomaterials, 26, 4616-4623, 2005.
- E.L. Hedberg, H.C. Kroese-Deutman, C.K. Shih, R.S. Crowther, D.H. Carney, A.G. Mikos, J.A. Jansen, "Effect of Varied Release Kinetics of the Osteogenic Thrombin Peptide TP508 from Biodegradable, Polymeric Scaffolds on Bone Formation In Vivo," Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 72, 343-353, 2005.
- E.L. Hedberg, H.C. Kroese-Deutman, C.K. Shih, R.S. Crowther, D.H. Carney, A.G. Mikos, J.A. Jansen, "Effect of Varied Release Kinetics of the Osteogenic Thrombin Peptide TP508 from Biodegradable, Polymeric Scaffolds on Bone Formation In Vivo," Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 72, 343-353, 2005
- E.L. Hedberg, C.K. Shih, L. Solchaga, A.I. Caplan, A.G. Mikos, "Controlled Release of Hyaluronan Acid Oligomers from Biodegradable Polymeric Microparticles," Journal of Controlled Release, 100, 257-266, 2004.
Total Publications in Career (2000-present):
- 11 refereed publications, 3 book chapters, 2 patents awarded, 1 patent pending.